Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Take. Your. Time.

So, I’ve been a little sad lately. My buddy John is off to Carbondale to get his phenomenology-of-religion on and I knew it was going to be hard to see him go, but its been a rough couple of days. John is a good man. Though he’s an introvert, which I find mysterious and questionable, we connected on an obscure-sub-culture-reference-humor level pretty much instantaneously and have spent many hours of the last year nerding out together. If that last part confuses you, read his entry on nerdery. I’m very happy for him to be on his way to professoriality and finally tack “Dr.” in front of that already imposing, imperialist-sounding name of his.

One of these days I’m going to go through all of the links at the side of Mari’s blog. Also, her description of this blog is so fantastic and spot-on, I can’t help but buy her lunch when I go to Chicago. It just CANNOT be helped.

Speaking of Mari, she quoted me in her other blog about being Zen. I’d forgotten my zen-ness. However the description of zen I gave needs a corollary. Sometimes, “Yep. That’s a feeling. Now do a thing.” can become a kind of frantic fleeing from some serious underlying stuff. So, we have to find a balance between wallowing and feeding our crazy with inaction and hours of facebook stalking AND running around trying not to feel our feelings. In fact, maybe it is all there in that definition, I was just paying attention to the wrong part. You have to acknowledge the feelings before you do a thing.

You have to say “Yep” to your feeling.

In any case, I’m letting go of my frantic-ness and just taking my time. Being a little lazy and selfish. Or at least, as lazy and selfish as my protestant up-bringing will allow. Which is not very.

I baked cookies yesterday. Who wants some? Chocolate chip, dude.

And now, some stuff I like:

I want a house that looks like its about to be dismantled by sentient plant life.

I want a concrete wall and a funny vinyl decal for my light switch.

I don’t want a cat, but this is fucking hilarious.

I might have to figure out how to incorporate these guys into my next tattoo. They’re fabulous.

Also, I’m finally buying a TV. I hope it doesn’t ruin my life…

1 comment:

Mari said...

i cannot wait for lunch with you.

i cannot wait for you to get that windbreaker.

i cannot wait for fall.

i cannot wait til you write more posts.

love.