Thursday, April 16, 2009

Style Profile

I totally stole this from other people. Enjoy.
Job?
I get paid to be an IT assistant for the facilities and capital projects department at BC. I pay a whole lot of money to be a Masters student in Philosophy at that same school. That is more truly my employment.

Best Sartorial advice from your parents?
Don’t wear sandals when you ride your bike.

Style icons?
Justin Timberlake. Trent Reznor’s recent militaristic turn. Seth Bullock.

Describe your personal style...
Eclectic and precise, with spurts of bombast and flamboyance. I’ll borrow from the preppy, the soldier, the rock-star and the hipster alike. My piercings and ridiculous haircuts tend to give everything a punk-rawk edge.

I build my daily look around?
Jeans and shoes. Skinny jeans w/ sneakers? Bootcut w/ monk-strap square toes? Everything else starts with the answers to those questions.

Personal Style quirk?
I’ll always wear my studded belts backward. I picked it up in the Sacramento hardcore scene in high school and never let it go. Makes life difficult for the rapists.

Favorite designers?
G-star just came out w/ a line of more dressy clothes that I really like. Slacks and vests as designed by your local Gestapo. Hot. Buuuuuut, I’m poor.

Most cherished item?
Hrm...Keffiyeh I got in Albany Park after I graduated, I think.

Never caught wearing?
Cardigans. Crocs. Uggs.

Most underrated item in menswear/womenswear?
By me personally? Socks. In general? Scarves.

Dress to impress who?
Mari Andrew, mostly. And hot chicks, in general.

Flats or heels?
I know this is aimed at women, but I seriously wish I owned more boots w/ a heel. A masculine, cowboy-esque heel..but yeah, something that’ll make me tower even more.

Favorite stores?
H&M. Found some good (REALLY CHEAP) stuff on sale at Heritage over spring break, but I’m sure its crap. Village Discount Thrift Stores in Chicago are my favoritests.

Your next "must have" purchase?
A Pair of Oxfords and a gray, tropical weight wool suit.

I skimp when buying ...
Um…clothes?

I splurge on...
Jeans most. Outerwear too.

Favorite item of clothing?,
Changes often, but at the moment: dark wash slim-fit jeans from H&M, Brown, white and pink argyle sweater from Express for Men.

Favorite fashion magazines?
I loved Men’s Vogue (RIP) but I just got a subscription to GQ. Don’t think it will be as good… Dwell (Okay, architecture/design, but still about style).

Favorite (style) books?
Hm…I should get some of those. I want to make one for myself, actually, that I can reference when I go to make purchases. Like a fashion/design scrap book.

Favorite stylish movies?
“Arabesque”; “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford”; “Quantum of Solace”

Favorite vacation spot?
California’s Sierra Mountains, the more remote the better.

Favorite neighborhood restaurant?
In Chicago: Tre Kroner (Swedish food)
In Boston: Café Fixe (Technically just coffee and pastries, but mah favah-rite)

2 comments:

John said...

vanity of vanities! ll is vanity

you know who said that...the guy who wrote ecclesiastes. yeah, he was pretty smart i guess.

how are we friends when this is the case:

favorite store: levis but i mostly shop at sears.

fashion mag: spin
stylish movie: the royal tenenbaums
favorite piece: the grey CARDIGAN that is dying on me.

fashion icons: bob the builder?

Mari said...

jon, i adore you. that is obvious.

scarves--UNDERrated?!

i take this very seriously: i think you rock a keffiyeh better than anyone i've ever seen. and that includes yasser arafat.