Thursday, July 31, 2008

Chronicles of Hopeful Posture

Welp, I just signed a lease here in Boston. Studio apartment w/ a lil' alcove action, lots of windows and dishwasher in a tiny kitchen. It's gonna cost me a small fortune, but it's nicer than anything else I saw in that price range, so I guess thats all good. It's only fair to chronicle a little of how I got to this point of commitment.

Monday night I flew the red-eye from Oakland to New York. I paid 30 bucks for an extra 18 inches of leg room, which was wise. PLus, Jet Blue has cable tv, so that wasn't so bad. Couple of hours lay over in JFK and then 1hr flight into boston, landing me an hour late @ 9:15am. So, I snagged a cab from the airport to Emily Johnson's (EJ's) place, showered quick-like and then went to my first apartment showing. Okay, but convenient location and all utilities included. Next apartment showing was a super dank basement unit. Really foul and nasty. Then I looked at getting a room in a big apartment w/ strangers. The apartment was nice and close to B/C, but I think that would be too risky. Dinner w/ EJ at a yummy german pub type place. Fell asleep @ 9pm that night, after being awake for...33 hours?

Wednesday was meeting w/ BC profs. First was the director of the Grad program. He was somewhat helpful and pretty nice, but a slightly odd little fellow. Oh well, that's how philosophy types can be. He did introduce me to a nice prof named eileen sweeney who was working on Radical Orthodoxy for an article. I did my writing sample on Radical Orthodoxy's "founder," so we traded snarky remarks about his terrible writing. She was a delight and was very kind and welcoming. I'll be friends w/ her, I think. :) I looked at like 6 more apartments that afternoon. 2 were interesting, but only one had lots of windows. I said I was interested and the price was reasonable, so I filled out an application and wrote a deposit check. HERE GOES NUTHIN'!

Last night Emily and a couple her friends took me to cambridge, which was beautiful and very fancy. We went into a bookstore, or as I like to call them, "money stealing dispensers of printed-paper guilt." I got some stuff... Then dinner and then some bar. EJ's friends are pretty funny. Smart folks.

Today I met w/ a financial aid advisor, who painted a more encouraging picture of my loan eligibility than I had apprised for myself. So that's good...or atleast as good as 22 grand in debt can be. Then it was off to meet my new landlord, who was a kindly-but-no-nonsense eastern european lady in her 60's. She was interested in theology, so I recommended a book or two. I think we'll be friends too. I wonder if she makes yummy pastries...

Now I owe them a god-awful amount of money. Mom and dad are helping, but I'm scared shitless by this living-on-pure-debt thing. And I'm stuck w/ it for a while. God will provide, cuz this is the only thing I can see myself doing right now and ... well, He'd better or else....you know.

Okay, thats enough for now. No deep thoughts in this one. Godspeed,
Jon

2 comments:

hyacinthgirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hyacinthgirl said...

A dishwasher and lots of windows are both very good things, in my opinion. Congratulations on finding a place so fast!

Living on debt is definitely stressful. Especially if you think about it too much. But I can tell you from personal experience that it's not so bad if you just keep reminding yourself that it's an investment.

Also, I accidentally deleted this comment the first time I posted it. Thus the sinister looking "comment deleted" post.