Saturday, June 28, 2008

Education, Sex and Pears...but mostly education

Boston College update:
- I've got a list of 6 or 7 perspective classes for the Fall. Everything from Plato's "Theatetus" to a seminar on Heidegger's "Being and Time." I'm so excited about this...and a little intimidated too, I suppose. It's going to be weird from being in the upper 25% in my classes at NPU to sitting in class w/ PHD candidates who, as Emily Johnson says, are experts in Hegel. Oh yeah, I'll probably take a class in Hegel's "Phenomenology of Spirit," too.
- E.J. also gave me the name of a friend who's looking for a roommate. This could cut my housing costs by two-thirds. Hopefully everyone's cool and the place isn't a total crap-pile. But, I'll probably just have to take my chances, unless I want to drop a bunch of cash to live alone or stay in Boston hotels for a month shopping for Apartments w/ those guys.
Never mind that. Back to square one. No big deal.

Next Step:
- Start hunting down financial aid. B.C. isn't prohibitively expensive, but it's close. If anyone has a rich aunt who wants to be a patron of the "old style" let me know, yeah?

Tomorrow I'll be teaching my second Sunday School class on Augustine's "Confessions." Last week went really well. 20 people, which is a lot for a kick-off. Good spread on the ages, from JD (22) to a fella' named Walt Von Flue (late 70's?). Walt Von Flue is a name that sounds as old as he is, doesn't it? Anyways, we're talking about Books I and II this week, so that means we're discussing education, sex and pears.

But aren't we always? Godspeed.

3 comments:

Mari said...

1. I love the use of lists on blogs. Good job with that thus far.
2. It's fabulous that you are teaching Augustine. That is awesome in every way. Can I purchase the podcasts, or videotape series?
3. EJ is such a dear and it warms my heart that she gets to share her new community with you. Yay for everything.
4. I need to stop being the Comment Winner on this blog. But I just cannot help it.
5. I love Hegel.
6. Inspired by your affection for it, I have started reading Traveling Mercies (didn't read it for Dialogue) and I love it so much. There is a lot of great stuff in there, especially when it thickens in the middle. I am so pleased.
love,
the mar-dogg

Leigh Culbertson said...

I can't tell you how excited I am for you to be a bit more challenged by your peers.

So instead of them saying "Jon makes me feel so confused, when he talks" they'll say "That kid knows so little about this subject" Isn't that exciting!?

:)

and hey, I love nothing more than to talk about Pears.

hyacinthgirl said...

I completely agree with Mari as to the fabulousness of you teaching Augustine. And it's exciting that so many people at your church are interested! In my experience, intellectual curiosity is so often missing from Christian community - I'm incredibly proud to know someone who is actively cultivating it.