Friday, June 27, 2008

The End of the Beginning?

New beginnings are so frequent at my age that noting them seems like a waste. We're constantly starting over. What of change is notable when everything is in flux? And yet, here I am. A new school. A new city. A new handful of projects. Accordingly, this will be a venue for developing thoughts, ideas, schemes, day-dreams, etc. I mentioned to someone today that one of the benefits of youth is sufficient naivete to ignore realistic concerns. My success so often seems predicated on a willingness to overlook the should-be-disheartening reality of some endeavor. The current endeavors are enumerated below:

- Pursuing a Masters degree in Philosophy at Boston College. Such minor details as where I'm going to live and how I'm going to pay for all of this are as-of-yet undetermined. None the less, the goal is to get that degree and impress them sufficiently. Then, I'll go on to get a PHD in Philosophy and teach at the University level.

- Learning to write for television, movies and the stage. I've been wondering for some time what a truly Christian artist would look like. So much "Christian" art is really just propaganda and baldly didactic expression. To make something complex and rich and challenging that re-tells (with very good examples) the story of God's work in His creation. This pursuit is hugely influenced by the philosophy of David Milch, the creator of "NYPD Blue" and "Deadwood." Go check out videos of his lectures HERE.

- Developing concrete, material skills. Among them; baking bread, gardening, bicycle repair, and many others to be discovered hopefully. Ideally, I'll post pictures and accounts of my attempts at each.

Hopefully I'll update this more regularly than my other blog, but none the less, thanks for visiting!

Godspeed,
Jon

1 comment:

Mari said...

I am so pleased! I am quite excited to read about your Bostonian adventures on a regular basis.

You are always enormously adventuresome in your endeavors. I like this.

I hope things are fantastic right now...you are leaving in like a month, yes? Bah! Nuts!

I can't wait for you and EJ to become BFF...

love,
the mars volta