Thursday, May 21, 2009

Pragmatist Produce Preoccupation


For some time now, I’d been neglecting the question and problem of ethical eating. Long ago I committed myself to an ethical position on Western drug/alcohol culture and started calling myself “Straight Edge.” That had its roots in an at-the-time inexplicable revulsion at our societal relationship to drugs, alcohol and tobacco and I’ve since worked out a rationale about and behavioral posture towards those things I’m pretty happy with. After 8 years with that commitment, I’m finally allowing the concerns about all those other things I ingest to become influential.

And, much like that first commitment, I’ve finally decided to take action and then work out the arguments behind it. As I encounter difficulties and new discoveries in the ideas behind the behavior, like a good pragmatist, I’ll adjust my actions and ideas in a reciprocal dynamic.

So, what’s the new commitment? Well, it’s not as radical an abstention as being Straight Edge. I’ve decided to be an almost, not-quite vegetarian. Red meat is certainly out, as is pork. Dairy and eggs and other vegan-no-no’s are hanging in there. I’ll probably eat small portions of chicken and fish here and there, either because circumstances don’t allow me to avoid them without being rude/difficult/etc or if they are from a local, green, reputable source as far as I can ascertain.

So, it’s a nuanced and plastic position. But so is being straight edge. Being uncharitable or inhospitable in order to “stay pure” in either is just not an option.

And I have lots of reading and studying and thinking to do before I determine my “final” position. So, here we go:

-This Michael Pollan article convinced me to take a serious look at my eating habits, especially because I want to be able to (paideia-style) show my children someday a rebellious, counter-cultural way to eat.

-This website has lots of scary graphics which I’ve now stolen and posted w/ this blog post. Also, an awesome example of how to re-imagine local, amateur produce production towards the end. It comes with this exhortation:

“And finally, in the context of ecological economics, fossil fuel depletion and climate change, ask whether what you do in your life, vocation, hobbies, and habits, contributes to the long-term function (or dysfunction) of society.”

And this excellent advice:

"It appears that some of the greatest saving can be realized by:

* reduced use of petroleum-based fertilizers and fuel on farms,
* a decline in the consumption of highly processed foods, meat, and sugar,
* a reduction in excessive and energy intensive packaging,
* more efficient practices by consumers in shopping and cooking at home,
* and a shift toward the production of some foods (such as fruits and vegetables) closer to their point of consumption."

2 comments:

Mari said...

I love how much you think about everything you do. I just love it.

Guest post: PLEEEEZ!!!! That would be fabulous! Want to do No. 3??

Anonymous said...

In the interest of Pollan and of not being (justly or otherwise) accused of being a utilitarian, I would think it legitimate to eat red meat and poultry if you know it was produced in an "ethical" manner (i.e. kosher, etc.). Other than that, I have taken a class on this with Greg Clark and still have not taken it all the way to heart, although I have in part.